I have a very important announcement to make. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to keep running Sirius Project. So much has changed in my life since I founded the site almost a decade ago, and many of these changes – my career/the business I run, looking after Amazingaardvark when she’s not well, and the family we’re planning to start – mean I no longer have the time or energy to do Sirius justice. I have also moved on from self-harm to the point where being around a self-harm forum is no longer helpful to me. I have therefore decided that it’s time for me to pass the reins on to other people, people who are passionate about Sirius and able to give it the attention it deserves.
Our other forum admin Dulman is willing to take over from me, but she could really use one or more other volunteers to work with her. (I can’t remember if there has been an official announcement, but although Amazingaardvark is still listed as a forum admin, she is in fact no longer volunteering for Sirius.) Especially in the long term, running Sirius is a demanding job that’s a bit too much for one person. So we desperately need volunteers to help with some or all of the following tasks:
- Moderating the forums
- Keeping the website (links and articles) up to date
- Keeping the forum software up to date (or organising a move to another forum provider, where this would be done for us)
- Dealing with occasional email correspondence, e.g. suggestions of links to add and requests from researchers
- Managing and updating our Twitter and Facebook accounts (or these could be deleted if they’re not felt to be useful)
- Advising on ways the site could be run, and in particular how volunteers could be better supported (if you’re not able to volunteer for Sirius but you have experience of volunteering for a similar website/organisation then we would value your input on this)
I will remain on hand indefinitely to advise on any technical issues that come up (especially with our existing software/setup) and I will make sure the site remains financially supported.
If you’re interesting in helping with any of the above, please let me or Dulman know as soon as possible. And if you’ve already made an offer of help and not received a reply from me, please remind me! Thank you.
Finally, I’d like to apologise to all of you for not staying on top of things with the site, and for promising updates which (mostly) never delivered. I have been trying to convince myself I could find a way to keep running Sirius when I couldn’t, and that hasn’t been fair on any of you. I’m sorry. Thank you all for your patience with this.
Moon Tree / Seeking Myself